Below is a brief comparison of the two services.
- Chart Annotations
- Leaderboard chart annotations appear on stocks from three areas: Leaders list, Cut List, Sector Leaders and top ten stocks from the IBD 50.
- MarketSmith premium subscribers can access Pattern Recognition, this automated chart annotation feature recognizes chart patterns, buy points and sell points, and more.
- Additonal Chart Data
- Leaderboard charts have a color-coded Stock Checklist showing where a stock passes or meets IBD parameters, and where it does not.
- MarketSmith charts provide more detailed fundamental data than those in Leaderboard. For example, Leaderboard charts show 3-yr EPS Growth Rate whereas MarketSmith charts also include EPS change for the last 8 quarters.
- Stock Analysis
- Leaderboard provides intraday analysis from IBD market staff for the stocks tracked on Leaders list, Cut List, and top ten from IBD 50.
- MarketSmith does not provide analysis, but it does allow users to run custom screens to find stocks that fit parameters specified by the user.
Leaderboard - $69 monthly, $699 annual
MarketSmith - $149.95 monthly, $1499
Leaderboard is a great product if you want to quickly see what stocks are leading the market and their respective sectors and to see the stocks strengths, weaknesses or when to buy and sell. For those who want to conduct their own expanded research, screen thousands of stocks and feel comfortable doing much of their own technical analysis, MarketSmith is a fine service.